WHEAT PROGRAMS & SERVICES
- West Haven residents may come to WHEAT twelve times a year to receive food and sign up for a Thanksgiving basket. Residents must bring proof of residency (a valid photo ID, two bills or other official documents with their correct name and address on them). Proof of income must be provided.
- Must be a West Haven resident.
- Must bring a valid and current photo ID (license, state ID, etc.) and two pieces of mail (bills, official letters, etc.) with your correct name and address. The mail must be dated within the past 2 months.
- Must bring proof of income (pay stubs, disability payments, unemployment payments, Social Security payments, etc.)
- You must bring 3 proofs of residency each time you come to WHEAT.
If there are 5 or more people in your family, you must bring proof of everyone - Husky cards, social security cards, birth certificates, etc.
FOOD PICK UP
You may pick up food once a month during the year.
You must be a client by Mon. October 1st to qualify to sign up for Thanksgiving. Sign up dates for Thanksgiving will be announced in October. You must sign up in person for Thanksgiving. If you do not pick up your basket, you may not sign up for one next year. WHEAT compares our list with other agencies and reserves the right to refuse a basket to anyone who has signed up with another agency in addition to WHEAT.
- We provide grocery bags of non perishable food, meats, bread and desserts
to feed a family of four for a week or more. If there are more than four family members, we give provide extra grocery bags.
- WHEAT also stocks food for special dietary needs such as diabetics, cardiac and cancer patients. We also have baby food and diapers when donated. We have a volunteer nutritionist who advised people healthy eating habits and provides taste testings for clients, making recipes from the food we give to them.
- The food pantry is open Tuesday-Fridays from 2:00-4:30 p.m. WHEAT is closed for major holidays or when bad weather closes the West Haven public schools.
Food Stamp Sign Up Center:
- The clinic is open Monday, Tuesday and Friday from 8:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m. The clinic provides physicals, prenatal care, vaccinations and pediatric care.
- A representative from CT Assn. of Human Services is here every other Tuesday at 2:30 to meet with people to determine their eligibility for food stamps and help with the application process.
- WHEAT refers people to other West Haven organizations that provide food as well as information on where to apply for housing, energy assistance, furniture, places to get free clothing, diapers and the like.
Click Here for this information as is given to clients.
674 Washington Ave.
West Haven, CT 06516|
(203) 931-9877 (phone)
(203) 934-1083 (fax)